Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I received this recipe from a friend while living in Northern Canada, where blueberries are abundant. It is excellent
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup blueberries
- Mix flour, sugar and butter.
- Reserve 3/4 of a CUP of this crumb mixture for topping. (**note: This is not 3/4 of the recipe, but 3/4 of a cup).
- To rest of crumb mixture add baking powder, salt, yolk and milk.
- Beat egg whites til thick.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Spread into greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Top with blueberries.
- Top with reserved crumb mix reserved.
- Bake 40-50 minutes at 350°F.
Made this over the weekend and turned out just perfect.
This recipe is identical to #7118 except for the amount of blueberries. I didn't think one cup was enough. Next time I will make Recipe 7118 Blueberry Boy Bait, that calls for 2 cups of blueberries.
I liked this blueberry cake well enough, but the recipe could be more specific. I cut the butter into the sugar flour mixture till the butter was pea sized. I am not sure that the step #1 gave adequate directions for a novice on that. I beat the egg whites till they were thick, but soft peak or firm peak would've given me a better idea of my goal. I think I should have beat the whites a bit longer, they dissapeared kind of quickly when I folded them into the batter. I guessed at 1/4 tsp of salt, but think maybe I should have gone with a bit more. But the end result was tasty.