Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yum! Blueberry-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce Recipe Source: © EatingWell Magazine It is not every day that you get a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce that also boasts a healthy dose of antioxidants. Try it with beef, chicken, pork or even some grilled shrimp. Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. Source: © EatingWell Magazine
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add bourbon, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in blueberries, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, molasses and allspice; return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.