This is a GREAT summer dessert, from the July issue of Cooking Light magazine. I saw it on the cover and knew I had to make it. Blackberrys are kind of expensive here, so I just used blueberrys, and it was absolutely delicious. Also I didn't have buttermilk, so I made milk from dried milk, and to one cup of milk added 1 tbsp lemon juice, and it worked just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small peices
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2To prepare shortcakes, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- 3Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 4Cut in chilled butter with a pstry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembeles coarse meal.
- 5Add buttermilk, stir just until moist.
- 6Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times.
- 7Pat dough to a 1/2 inch thickness; cut with a 3 inch biscuit cutter to form 8 dough rounds.
- 8Place dough rounds 2 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 9Combine water and egg white, stirring with a whist; brush over dough rounds.
- 10Sprinkle evenly with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- 11Bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes, or until golden.
- 12Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack.
- 13To prepare filling, combine 1 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- 14Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thick.
- 15Place in a large bowl; add remaining 2 cups blueberries and blackberries, stirring to coat.
- 16Cover and chill.
- 17Using a serrated knife, cut each shortcake in half horizontally; spoon 1/2 cup blueberry mixture over bottom half of each shortcake.
- 18Top each serving with 2 tbsp whipped cream and top half of shortcake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Blackberry Shortcakes
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 301.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: