Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
Yummy low fat muffins with a twist.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen blueberries
- 1 cup walnuts
- Combine dry ingredients in learge mixing bowl.
- Mash banana in medium bowl, then add wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir just until combined.
- Batter should be lumpy.
- Fold in walnuts and blueberries.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean in a 350 degree oven.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: because of the low fat content of theses muffins, they don't tend to keep well.
The muffins were good but not great! I used pecans and not walnuts as the recipe suggests. This is a healthy recipe, as the muffins are not too sweet. If you want sweet, add more sugar or make sure your berries are sweet. My husband would give the muffins 4 1/2 stars. They looked great, and I made 24 muffins because I filled my cups to the top. They were very pretty.
This was my first attempt at homemade blueberry muffins, so they weren't as sweet as I'm used to from the box, but very good. The banana was a nice addition to the flavor. I halved the recipe and used low-fat butter. I had to cook them closer to 22 minutes than the 15-18 specified. Served with a little butter these were really good.