Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I like this recipe because it uses a convenient muffin mix, but is made special with extra added ingredients and a delicious topping.
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (19 ounce) package blueberry muffin mix
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400 and spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- Place the banana in a small mixing bowl and mash with a fork. You should have 1/2 cup mashed banana. Stir in the yogurt, egg and vanilla just until combined. Set aside.
- Place the muffin mix in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the yogurt mixture into the well and stir just until combined.
- Pour the blueberries that come with the muffin mix into a strainer, rinse under cold water and drain well. Fold them into the batter until just combined. The batter will still be a little bit lumpy.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup, filling it 3/4 full. Set aside.
- To make the topping, place the pecans, brown sugar and flour in a small bowl and stir together. Add the butter, mashing it with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- With your hands, sprinkle a heaping teaspoon of the topping on each muffin. Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the muffins until the pecan topping is deep golden and the muffins just spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, about 20 to 23 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pans. Cool 15 minutes more before serving.
"Yum, yum, yum", said my 8 year old son! This is a great muffin!!! I love that it added a bit of health value to an otherwise unhealthy mix. My bananas were frozen, so I mashed them and let them thaw out for this and another recipe. For the yogurt, all I had was ff strawberry cheesecake, but that apparently was a good thing. Also used finely chopped walnuts, because my family is a big fan! I baked them for a little over the time here, but I made them a bit larger. Will be giving some to my friend when I see him this weekend. He and his daughter love this sort of thing. Thanks so much!