Recipe by Muffin Head
This recipe is adapted from Stephanie Jaworski at JoyOfBaking.com. I absolutely love it because it combines two of my favourite fruit into an original-tasting breakfast or snack food. Frozen blueberries are easier to work with. With the banans, I like to mash them with a potato masher in a flat-bottomed bowl.
Top Review by lookingforthebatcave
I just made these today. They were awesome! I was a little worried since the batter was so thick, but they turned out great. I will definately make these again. Chopped walnuts might be a nice addition. Trying a sugar free version next time. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas or 3 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Line the muffin pan with paper or rubber liners, or grease with butter or a vegetable spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. While it melts, mash the bananas in a medium size bowl.
- Add the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract to the bananas and whisk. Then add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold in the berries, making sure they are coated with flour. If using fresh blueberries, do not over-mix them, or the batter will turn blue! Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined, or tough muffins will result.
- Fill the muffin cups, place the pan in the oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. A toothpick inserted must come out clean. Leave the muffins in the pan while they cool completely.
- To get a moist muffin top, store in an air-tight container. Otherwise, they can be left outside for several days.