Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A classic that I revamped for RSC#12. It is EXCELLENT!!
- 2 -4 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup egg beaters egg white substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients, except blueberries & 1TB flour, well.
- Toss blueberries with 1TB flour to coat berries. Shake in a sifter to remove excess flour & add to batter. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into pan & bake 1 hour or until dark brown on top.
I love blueberries and bananas, and considering how many overripe bananas I had on hand, making this was a no brainer. As my bananas were on the smaller side, I used 4, and instead of fresh blueberries, I used frozen wild blueberries. One whole egg replaced the two egg whites, and I used Starrynews' Spiced Sugar on top to add some crunch and spice. This is a very moist and delicious banana bread! So good!! Thanks for posting, Elmotoo! Made for Veggie Swap #30.
AWESOME. I made this into muffins (got 14 medium sized ones) and cooked them to perfection in 30 minutes. I used 4 small bananas that were frozen and thawed. I also subbed out the egg whites for recipe #104832 with amazing results. The Splenda flavor was hidden which is a plus for me, I decreased the amt of sugar to 1/4 cup which made for a sweet enough bread for us, and I used all whole wheat flour! Almost forgot. . .topped the muffins off with a sprinkling of recipe #297272 which was a great addition. I will certainly make this recipe again. Made for Veggie Swap July 2010. UPDATE: I froze some of the muffins and took them out over the weekend only to find that they were just as moist and delicious as they were when I made them. Great recipe!
The bananas I used here weren't outrageously ripe, so their flavor melded quite nicely with the mild tasting blueberries & we thought the bread to be very satisfying & enjoyable! Would definitely do a similar combination again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my groupmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #37]