Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
modified from homemade bagel recipe on recipezaar. 2 WW pts.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup dried blueberries, finely chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 1 egg white
- Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl and add the yeast mixture.
- Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour and blueberries.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if needed, dough should be firm.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
- After rising punch down and divide dough into 12 balls.
- Allow to rest for 4 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
- With your thumb, make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat under water for it to be simmering.
- Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.
- Drain and place on greased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with beaten egg white.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turning once for even browning.
- Bagels are done when they are golden brown and shiny.
These tasted terrible! Too much yeast and the wheat flour over powers the taste of the blueberries!
Tastes horrible. Too much yeast. Cannot taste anything other than the yeast.