Recipe by COOKGIRl
Inspired by Healthy Pick's Blueberry-Pomegranate Applesauce. I don't know if this tastes like Healthy Pick's because I've never sampled theirs. This is a copycat recipe in the sense that I copied the ingredients and embellished with my own. Please substitute another sweetener of your choice. Ingredient amounts are estimated. I had visions of blueberry pie dancing in my head while composing this recipe...
Top Review by Elmotoo
ahem. i made a triple batch. gone in 1 seating. nuff said.
I only used 4 apples but they equaled 2.5lbs! Used a better part of a bottle of pomagranate molasses. ;) This is absolutely delicious ~ a great variation of applesauce! Made for NA/ME Tag 9/12.
- 340.19 g apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- heaping 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen blueberries which don't have to be thawed)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4.92 ml lemon zest, grated
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml pomegranate molasses
- 59.14 ml unsweetened apple juice or 59.14 ml water
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 29.58 ml honey, to taste (I used local blackberry honey)
- 29.58 ml dark brown sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the apples, blueberries, cinnamon stick, lemon zest, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses and apple juice (or water) into a deep, heavy sauce pan.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook until apples are very tender and the blueberries have dissolved and become saucy.
- Set aside to cool.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Puree the sauce to desired consistency either in a food processor or blender. Or-very carefully puree using an immersion blender. Be careful not to burn yourself because it hurts when the applesauce splatters!
- Transfer to a storage container. Stir in the almond extract.
- Taste the applesauce and if you think it needs sugar, go ahead and add some to desired sweetness.