Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love angel food....and I love blueberry muffins....sounds like this is a perfect pair! Found this recipe on food network website. It gives credit to Gale Gand.
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites, at room temperature (from about 1 dozen eggs)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries (can use fresh also)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add 1 cup of the sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds.
- Sift the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the pre-sifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture. Fold into the egg whites, then fold in the vanilla, zest, and blueberries. Scoop the batter into paper lined large muffin cups. Bake until light golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Glaze: Stir the ingredients together until smooth. Dip the tops of the muffins into the glaze.
I saw these and knew I had to get out the flour and make some! I doubled the recipe for the muffins, then I made up the glaze using the lemon and then made up another batch using some frozen blueberries and some of the juice instead of the sugar and lemon, then I mixed them together and drizzled over the blueberries. What a sensational breakfast muffin treat!