Recipe by Malriah
Posted in response to a request on the message boards for a Cooking Light Magazine Blueberry dessert recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift flour mixture over the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, folding in carefully.
- Fold in vanilla and blueberries.
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour and lemon zest then fold this into the egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter evenly into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Invert pan over a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Loosen cake by running a spatula around the edges of the pan, and remove from pan.
- To make the glaze, whisk the lemon juice and sugar together until it forms a smooth glaze then drizzle it over the cake.