Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted in response to a request on the message boards for a Cooking Light Magazine Blueberry dessert recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift flour mixture over the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, folding in carefully.
- Fold in vanilla and blueberries.
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour and lemon zest then fold this into the egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter evenly into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Invert pan over a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Loosen cake by running a spatula around the edges of the pan, and remove from pan.
- To make the glaze, whisk the lemon juice and sugar together until it forms a smooth glaze then drizzle it over the cake.
Thought I had blueberries in the freezer, but didn't, so this wound up an angelfood cake with lemon glaze, and it is lovely! Next time, will manage to get the blueberries into it!
I've already had WAY too much cake. This is sooo good. It's the perfect angel food light-textured cake with beautiful, moist blueberries floating all through it. I skipped the glaze but otherwise followed the recipe and I wouldn't change a thing. This is a real keeper and is definitely going to become a seasonal tradition at our house. Thank you so much, Kari.
This was great!! Only 4 ww points a slice, if you divide it into ten servings. I couldn't get the egg whites to form stiff peaks, I think I got some egg yolk in there. Nonetheless, it is very good. Tastes like a blueberry muffin, but lighter. I didn't make the glaze, as the cake stuck to my pan and was all torn up. Seemed silly to glaze it after that. :) Also omitted the lemon zest, as I didn't have any lemon, just used a mix of vanilla and lemon extracts. Very tasty!!!