Recipe by shawnajean
Like angel food cake, these yummy cupcakes don't last long. They're so light and airy that they melt in your mouth
- 11 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar three times; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add vanilla and lemon peel. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 14-17 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Brush over cupcakes. Let stand until set. Yield:2-1/2 dozen.