Recipe by anniesnomsblog
Crisp lemon shortbread, topped with tart blueberry jam and an oaty crumble, then baked up to perfection! So many textures and flavours in one bite, these are bound to become an instant favourite!
For the shortbread
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling
- 3⁄4 cup blueberry jam, warmed in the microwave for 10-15 seconds
For the crumble
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oats, not quick cook
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease and line an 8x8 inch square pan.
- Place the butter, flours, icing sugar, lemon zest and salt into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Mix on med-high for 2-3 minutes until you have a crumbly mix, with no large lumps of butter. This dough will not come together like a normal dough, that's fine!
- Tip the shortbread into your greased pan. Spread and level with a spatula/the back of a wooden spoon.
- In a separate, medium sized bowl, place the 1/2 stick of butter, flour, sugar and oats.
- Mix together with your fingers, until the mix resemble bread crumbs. Some larger lumps are fine. Leave to one side.
- Place the blueberry jam into a small heatproof bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds. This just makes it easier to spread.
- Pour over the shortbread and spread until level. Leave a small 1/2 inch gap around the edges.
- Sprinkle the jam layer with the crumble mix, it's fine if there are a few gaps.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 mins until the top is lightly browned, the jam is bubbling and an inserted skewer into the middle comes out piping hot.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan.
- Once cooled, slice into 9-12 bars. Bars will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 3 days.