Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The pie-crust is a melt in your mouth crust and the filling is simply delicious. My friend Helena gave it to me and got it from her friend. This is a Nova Scotian (Canada) recipe from Yamouth. Nova Scotia is known for it's blueberries both wild and cultivated.
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Pie Crust: Mix salt with flour.
- Cut shortening into flour mixture till crumbly.
- Beat lightly egg, water and vinegar and mix egg mixture into the flour just till dough is made.
- Do not over mix.
- Press ½ the dough into pie plate and press the other half between plastic sheets for pie cover.
- Place both in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Then fill pie shell with fruit mixture.
- Cover pie with pastry in plastic making hole on top of pie crust.
- Bake at 425°F for 30-40 minutes till golden, Do not over cook.
lovely recipe, but the filling is too little! I doubled the amount of fruit and many of the other measurements, and my pie still came out flat.
Very good apple pie. I haven't made many in my lifetime and this one was very easy and came out perfect!!
I added cream chease to the bottom and it was just great