Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My husband loves this down home cookin'.
- 59.14 ml olive oil, more may be needed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 (680.38 g) cubed beef steaks
- 118.29 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 304.75 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 118.29 ml water
- Cover the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil. Saute onion over medium heat until tender. Remove the onion and set aside.
- Use a meat mallet to tenderize the steaks. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the tenderized steaks in the flour. Fry each side of each steak in the oil in the skillet 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat. Add more oil if needed.
- Remove each steak to drain on paper towels. Add cream of mushroom soup and water to the skillet, and cook over medium heat, stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cooked steaks in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Cover with onions and gravy. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
This recipe appealed to me because it seemed easy to make (and it was!), and it reminded me of the Country Fried Steak that my mom made throughout my childhood. It is a recipe I would return to on those evenings that I just don't have time to make my own gravy. But I think the gravy needs a little bit of experimenting (maybe use milk in place of water, perhaps add an herb or two) so it didn't taste like diluted soup. Otherwise, this was classic home-style cooking that brought back fond memories for me. Thank you for sharing your recipe, spoilme. Made for Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef.