Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This creamy soup is made with Stilton and Cheddar cheeses. Note: measurements are Imperial. From stiltoncheese.com and posted for ZWT 6, England.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2-4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup tbsps english cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons english cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 -5 tablespoons heavy cream
- crouton (to garnish)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add vegetables, and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the wine and stock and return to heat. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the soup thickens then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and liquidize or press the soup through a sieve. Return to the rinsed out pan. Add the milk and heat gently. Stir in the Stilton and English Cheddar, seasonings and heavy cream until melted.
- ** Do not let the soup boil at this stage or it will curdle. Serve garnished with croutons.
This was wonderful! So simple and so flavorful. I used Bacon and Stilton Salad for the croutons and thoroughly enjoyed this great soup. Thanks Mami J for sharing. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6.