Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best Zucchini Nut Bread I have ever had and the only one I will make. It's from "Country Fair Cookbook" All recipes in this book are Blue Ribbon winners from fairs around America prior to it's publication in 1975. Wrap and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavor to mellow. I have also made this as muffins. Just lower the temperature. Now that I live in Australia I make this using the Aussie measuring cups and spoons and it turns out fine. I've also made it with half carrot and half zucchini. And other times I've used half wholewheat flour and half plain, just for a change and it works well too. My husband loves it and says it's more like a cake then a bread since it's so moist.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift together plain flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Beat eggs well.
- Gradually add sugar and oil, beat together well.
- Add vanilla and dry ingredients from above blend well.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Combine walnuts and 1 tsp of flour, stir this into the batter.
- Pour batter between two 2 greased (I use baking paper) 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" loaf tins.
- Bake for 1 hour or till tests done (skewer poked in the middle comes out clean).
- Cool in tins on racks for 10 minutes before removing from tins, cool on racks.
I was looking to bake something today and this recipe was in my must try. I made the mistake of putting it in 1larger loaf pan and had to let it bake a bit longer. I sprinkled the crumbs of my walnuts across the top and it gave a beautiful topping. I used 1 zucchini and 1 carrot . Excellent cake and with a serving of veggies PS I wont tell them
I am SO glad to have found this recipe. I love RecipeZaar! I am trying to not waste ANY food and had some zucchini to use up. Instead of 2 loaf pans, I greased up a large angel food cake pan. It works great! I put the whole recipe in the pan. I did the same for Banana Banana Bread Banana Banana Bread last weekend. Yum! Thanks for this!
I just made a double batch of this with zucchini from the freezer. Great recipe...very moist. Someone suggested adding a can of crushed pineapple. I think I will try that next time.