Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cut-out dough that is soft and easy to work with. Extremely light and thin with a unique almond flavor. Cream of tartar gives them a crispy snap like a European cookie. Frost and decorate for all the special occasions throughout the year. If desired, sprinkle with sugar decorations before baking. Minnesota State Fair Blue Ribbon Winner.
- 1 cup shortening, crisco preferred
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream shortening and butter with powdered sugar til light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time til incorporated; mixing well; add extracts til blended.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar in separate bowl. Stir with whip until well blended.
- Add dry mixture to batter; mixing just until incorporated and creamy. Do not overbeat.
- Chill in bowl for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll out on lightly floured board or between Saran Wrap sheets.
- Cut out and transfer to lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbrown. Edges should be very light brown.
- Leave on cookie sheet exactly one minute before transferring to cooling rack. The cookie should have a crisp melt in your mouth texture.
- Souce: Blue Ribbon Winner Cookie Entry Minnesota State Fair 1987.