Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
My mom found this "contest winning recipe" in the local newspaper in the '70's and I've enjoyed this recipe since. It's very comforting and kid-friendly the way the fried onions blend with the creamy filling. It's something I make for the flavor and not because it is so easy!
Top Review by jenisinchina
Really good! Looking at the seasonings I thought my family would like more. I sprinkled the potatoes with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and a good dose of black pepper. This would taste good with some spice too. I used 1/2lb of ground beef b/c that's what I had on hand and it was plenty. I used cream of chicken b/c that's what I had on hand. I added a small can of drained mushrooms, pieces and stems. I didn't put any cheese on top, just the rest of the onions. Loved the broccoli and tomatoes in this! It really is a nice looking casserole and way better than the mushy "hot dishes" that I don't care for. Thanks for a great recipe! My alterations are truly to taste and/or availability.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, freshly steamed
- 1 (2 7/8 ounce) candurkee French fried onion rings (or 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- seasoned pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen potato slices or 1 (24 ounce) bag tater tots
Directions See How It's Made
- Line an 8x12-inch casserole (or two smaller Corning Ware casseroles), or 7x11-inch pan with the potato rounds, on the bottom and sides (I use a little more ingredients, doubling the soup and make a heaping 9x13-inch).
- Bake 10 minutes at 400°F.
- Brown beef.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes, HALF the onion rings, and add to the cooked ground beef and spread on top of cooked tater tots.
- Mix soup, milk, half the cheese and seasonings and pour over beef mixture.
- Fill casserole dish and bake covered (or it will dry out) at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and add rest of cheese and dried onions.
- Let rest couple minutes for the cheese to melt.