Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe won first place in a pie baking contest. It's delicious!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pint strawberry, quartered
- 1 (1 lb) bagsliced frozen rhubarb, thawed and well-drained (or 4 cups fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup dry tapioca
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Combine sugar, preserves and lemon juice.
- Add strawberries, rhubarb and tapioca.
- Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to lower 1/3 of oven.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare bottom crust in pie plate.
- Pour in fruit.
- Top with decorated crust-top. (I like a lattice top.).
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 55 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is brown. (You may need to cover the edges of the crust with foil paper part way through, if crust is getting too brown.).
- Remove to wire rack and cool.
I've never made this pie before, but I love rhubarb and strawberries so I thought I would give it a shot! It is absolutely delicious!!! I was a bit worried about only 1 cup of sugar, because of the tartness of rhubarb, but it is perfectly sweetened and gels nicely. Thanks