Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Melt in your mouth crispy tender crumb cookie. Minnesota State Fair cookie entry blue ribbon winner. Exceptional!
- Beat shortening, peanut butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until incorporated.
- Sift together in separate bowl the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Stir with whip until well blended.
- Add flour mixture to mixing bowl and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Roll in balls about the size of golf balls on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten, criss-cross fashion with a fork dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Leave cookies on cookie sheet exactly 1 minute before transferring to rack to cool completely.
These were very nice cookies but I also got about 24 medium sized cookies rather than 36. I also added chocolate chips to half of the dough and they were much nicer as peanut butter choc chip cookies. Surprisingly my hubby enjoyed them more than the kids!
What can I say...these were gone in no time! 2 Great grandkids and one grand son scarfed them up and gave them a '10'. For some reason (bigger?) I only got 2 dozen. Will make more soon. Thanks for reminding me to make peanut butter cookies!!
These are straight out of the Betty Crocker Cookbook from the l950's and that's how long ago I started making them - when I was still a kid! I always knew they were great, but didn't know they were prize winners!