1/9 Photos of Blue Ribbon Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie
I am a "LMP" fiend. The secret to a spectacular never-fail LMP is using 6 eggs. Once I made this version by Harriett Westman from "Blue Ribbon Winners: America's Best State Fair Recipes", this became my signature dessert. I adjust my portion size to the number of WW points left for the day; I calculate 1/8 of a pie as 10 points. Please allow 4 hours for cooling before serving. With 6 egg yolks, this is indeed a rich Southern custard filling with lemon juice added. For a more pronounced lemon flavor, use juice from up to 5 medium-size lemons, and reduce the water correspondingly; I have only made the standard recipe, which our family likes a lot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (with high fluted edge)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1BAKE 9-INCH FLUTED PIE SHELL:.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- 3Fit the crust into a pie plate and flute the edge.
- 4Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork.
- 5Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 5 minutes.
- 6Allow to cool while preparing rest of recipe.
- 7PREPARE LEMON FILLING:.
- 8In a medium-size heavy saucepan, mix 1-1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.
- 9Gradually add water, stirring until well blended.
- 10Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 3 minutes.
- 11Remove hot mixture from heat.
- 12Slowly pour about half of mixture into slightly beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- 13Slowly pour egg yolk mixture back into hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- 14Return saucepan to heat.
- 15Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook 3 minutes more.
- 16Add lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter.
- 17Cook about 2 minutes more, stirring with a rubber spatula in a circular motion. DO NOT LET MIXTURE STICK TO BOTTOM OF PAN. Filling will be very thick and spatula will leave a track when drawn through filling.
- 18Cover saucepan and remove from heat; keep warm.
- 19PREPARE MERINGUE:.
- 20Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 21In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- 22Beat in 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 23Beat in vanilla extract with the last tablespoon of sugar.
- 24Continue beating until egg whites hold a soft peak.
- 25Set aside.
- 26ASSEMBLE PIE:.
- 27If filling has cooled, reheat, stirring constantly, before spooning into baked pie shell.
- 28Starting around the edge of pie, spoon meringue over filling, making sure meringue touches fluting on pie shell.
- 29Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- 30COOL 4 HOURS BEFORE SERVING:.
- 31Cool about 4 hours at room temperature before cutting.
- 32Makes one 9-inch pie.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Ribbon Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.2
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 135.9 mg
- Sodium 223.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 56.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g