I am a "LMP" fiend. The secret to a spectacular never-fail LMP is using 6 eggs. Once I made this version by Harriett Westman from "Blue Ribbon Winners: America's Best State Fair Recipes", this became my signature dessert. I adjust my portion size to the number of WW points left for the day; I calculate 1/8 of a pie as 10 points. Please allow 4 hours for cooling before serving. With 6 egg yolks, this is indeed a rich Southern custard filling with lemon juice added. For a more pronounced lemon flavor, use juice from up to 5 medium-size lemons, and reduce the water correspondingly; I have only made the standard recipe, which our family likes a lot.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (with high fluted edge)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BAKE 9-INCH FLUTED PIE SHELL:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Fit the crust into a pie plate and flute the edge.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork.
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool while preparing rest of recipe.
- PREPARE LEMON FILLING:.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, mix 1-1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.
- Gradually add water, stirring until well blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 3 minutes.
- Remove hot mixture from heat.
- Slowly pour about half of mixture into slightly beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour egg yolk mixture back into hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return saucepan to heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter.
- Cook about 2 minutes more, stirring with a rubber spatula in a circular motion. DO NOT LET MIXTURE STICK TO BOTTOM OF PAN. Filling will be very thick and spatula will leave a track when drawn through filling.
- Cover saucepan and remove from heat; keep warm.
- PREPARE MERINGUE:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat in vanilla extract with the last tablespoon of sugar.
- Continue beating until egg whites hold a soft peak.
- Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE PIE:.
- If filling has cooled, reheat, stirring constantly, before spooning into baked pie shell.
- Starting around the edge of pie, spoon meringue over filling, making sure meringue touches fluting on pie shell.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- COOL 4 HOURS BEFORE SERVING:.
- Cool about 4 hours at room temperature before cutting.
- Makes one 9-inch pie.