Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pat yourselves on the back, Recipe*zaarites! I took all your best egg salad ideas and came up with this recipe which is certain to win me a big Blue Ribbon at the County Fair! Full flavor and slightly sweet with no sugar added and nice eye appeal. (No doubt, there is sugar in the relish). A great brunch idea.
- 8 large eggs, boiled
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons yellow sweet onions, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Halve the eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. Chop the whites (set them aside) and, in a medium mixing bowl, mash up the yolks separately.
- To the finely mashed yolks, add all the ingredients, (except for the chopped whites) saving the mayonnaise for last. Stir as you add each tablespoon of mayonnaise to make sure the mix is not getting too thin. Use only the amount that you need.
- Add the chopped whites to the mix and fold them in carefully.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving on your favorite buns with some leaf lettuce.
- I will note that I prefer using Heinz mustard in this recipe but any brand or regular yellow mustard will do. The "cooking" time refers to refrigeration.
Blech! Mustard, italian dressing mix and tumeric all in one? It was an awful fight between the flavors, and everyone came out a loser.
The worchestershire gave it a dark taste that takes away from the normally fresh nature of egg salad . I would also use green onion tops instead of yellow onion for color and a milder less in your face onion taste.