1/5 Photos of Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake [with Buttermilk Glaze]
1 hr 15 mins
Recipe Junkie's Note:
From the Recipe Hall of Fame Cookbook II. This recipe includes a buttermilk glaze in addition to cream cheese frosting. Preparation time does not include chilling time. This cake is knock-down, drag-out delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter (one half stick butter)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 1/2 ounces shredded coconut
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1For Buttermilk Glaze:.
- 2In small saucepan over high heat, combine sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, butter, and corn syrup.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- 6Set aside until cake is baked.
- 7For cake:.
- 8Preheat oven to 350.
- 9Generously grease a 9x13 baking dish or 2 9" cake pans.
- 10Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
- 11Set aside.
- 12In large bowl, beat eggs.
- 13Add oil, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- 14Add flour mixture, pineapple, carrots, coconut, raisins and walnuts and stir well.
- 15Pour into prepared pan.
- 16Bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 17Remove cake from oven and slowly pour over buttermilk glaze over hot cake.
- 18Cool cake in pan until buttermilk glaze is totally absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 19For Frosting:.
- 20In large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- 21Add vanilla, powdered sugar, orange juice and orange peel.
- 22Mix until smooth.
- 23Frost cake and refrigerate until frosting is set.
- 24Serve cake chilled.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake [with Buttermilk Glaze]
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 343.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 52.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g