Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are "special" tarts to me...they have "won" many "First place" ribbons at Country Fairs, in their class.They are a "good,solid tart", if the fruit is added, as indicated.Hope y'all enjoy them.They will not "stay around" long.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups currants or 1 1⁄3 cups chopped raisins or 1 1⁄3 cups dates or 1 1⁄3 cups figs or 1 1⁄3 cups nutmeats (the above is YOUR choice, I usually just add a few nuts or raisins to each "tart")
- pastry dough, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 450'.
- Make your favourite pastry, (if making for a"special occasion", I have used"sweet pastry" and made them as"mini" tarts, ther-by changing the"yield", and also CUTS the baking time to about HALF that of a regular-sized tart) Beat eggs ONLY until whites and yolks are well blended.
- Beat in sugar.
- Add vinegar and vanilla.
- Stir in melted BUTTER.
- Add mixed"fruit", if adding to syrup mixture.
- Line tarts tins with your favourite pastry.
- Fill each"tart" 1/2 to 2/3 full, with syrup.
- Bake in hot oven for the first 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350'.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes more, or until filling is firm.
- Watch them!