Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The recipe comes from a lowfat/lowcal cookbook I have. Not that it is lowfat/lowcal- just lowERfat/lowERcal then some! I made this last Thanksgiving and my brother-in-law said it was the best apple pie he had ever tasted (everyone else like it too- he just raved on and on!). I think what makes it unique from any other apple pie I've tasted is that it uses 4 different kinds of apples. I wouldn't substitute and use just one kind- then it would be just like every other apple pie!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 5 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 2 cups granny smith apples, thinly sliced and peeled (about 1 lb.)
- 2 cups braeburn apples or 2 cups empire apples, same as above
- 1 cup rome apples (about 1/2 lb) or 1 cup winesap apple, thinly sliced and peeled (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup mcintosh apples or 1 cup jonathan apple, same as above
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For Crust: Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- "Cut in" butter and shortening until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add vinegar and sprinkle with ice water, 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing with a fork in between until dough is moist and crumbly.
- Divide in half. Press each half together and wrap loosely in plastic wrap. Roll each into 11 inches rounds and chill 1 hour.
- For Filling: Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle over apples in large bowl and toss to combine.
- Remove 1 round of crust dough from fridge, unwrap and place in a 9-inch pie pan lightly coated with cooking spray or a little butter. Allow extra dough to extend over the edge.
- Spoon apple mixture into crust dough. Top with remaining crust dough half from fridge (unwrapped of course). Press edges of bottom and top together to seal in the apples- making it pretty if you can! Cut 6 1-in. slits across crust dough with a sharp knife.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 450°F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 375°F and bake an additional 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust with tin foil if they brown too much before the time is up.