Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Vegetarian Times
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup amaranth flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground cornmeal (yellow or blue)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups soymilk or 2 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (plus extra for frying)
- 1 large egg
- In a mixing bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, amaranth flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk the soymilk, maple syrup, oil, and egg together in a bowl; add the soymilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Be sure to dissolve any lumps, but do not overmix; let sit 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a skillet over medium heat; pour 1/3 cup batter per pancake into the skillet.
- Cook until bubbles begin to form on the surface of the pancakes.
- Flip the pancakes, and cook the other sides until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Repeat with remaining batter; serve pancakes warm with desired topping.