This started out as a humble leftover stir-fry, but has taken on a life of its own. If you don't like blue food, replace the red cabbage with a vegetable of your choice. Serves 4 as a side dish, or two for dinner with fried egg on the side.
- 1 (240 g) can pineapple in juice (or light syrup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups red cabbage, very finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked short-grain rice
- 125 g button mushrooms, chopped (about 7)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 100 g shrimp, peeled and diced
- Drain pineapple, reserving liquid. If necessary, cut pineapple into small chunks.
- Heat pineapple liquid in a deep frying pan. Add garlic and onions and cook about 2 minutes.
- Put in cabbage and cook about 4 minutes.
- Add rice, mixing well, until it had absorbed the blue color from the cabbage.
- Stir in mushrooms and spices, cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Add pineapple and shrimp, and cook, stirring, until pineapple is warm and shrimp is just cooked.