Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I like to make these with Jamaican coffee, but your favourite filter coffee would do nicely.
- Place the coffee in a pan large enough to hold the pears snugly with the sugar and cinnamon and heat gently.
- Carefully peel the pears, leaving the stalks intact.
- Poach in the sweetened coffee for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the rum and allow the pears to cool in the coffee mixture.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Toserve, place the pear in a pretty, shallow glass dish or bowl and spoon over the coffee syrup.
Made this with Vanilla rum and served over vanilla ice cream. Simply wonderful.
I'm not quite sure how to rate this, as five stars doesn't seem to be enough! Let me just say that I just observed the DH doing something he NEVER does... Caught him standing by the stove, spooning up the left over sauce and groaning "this is soooo gooooood"! Followed the instructions exactly, except had to use dark sugar cones (dulce de tapa or piloncillo) because brown sugar isn't available here. Thank you so much for posting! PS: it looks much better in person - as the pears were not terribly photogenic. Or maybe it was just my photography skills, LOL!
Just amazing. Served them to guests with ice cream and everyone wanted seconds.