3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe I submitted in response to a request. I have not tried it. "This dish is really more like a pudding than a cake. Serve a scoop of it freshly steamed as it loses its light, fluffy consistency when reheated in the oven. The secret to making great corn cake is in the steaming. You can try and bake the cake in a pan in the oven (inserted in a pan of water to create steam), or you can steam them on the stove in a steamer basket." I found this recipe through Recipe Goldmine. It comes from The Blue Mesa Grill in Dallas, TX.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- corn husk (enough to line and cover a 3 quart steamer basket in a double layer)
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup masa dough
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 lb corn, fresh and cut off the cob (or frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1*Noteon Masa: You can buy prepared masa dough at most Mexican and specialty food markets.
- 2Or you can readily purchase Masa Harina (made by Quaker Oats) which is dried corn that has been ground and treated.
- 3It is the basic ingredient used in making tamale dough (also called masa).
- 4Soak corn husks in hot water for 30 minutes until pliable.
- 6Place vegetable shortening and butter in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until mixture becomes fluffy and creamy.
- 7Add masa and mix on low speed for about 2 minutes.
- 8Add water and mix well on medium speed.
- 9Grind the corn coarsely in a food processor.
- 10In a large mixing bowl combine the corn meal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder and salt.
- 11Add the masa mixture and the ground corn and mix well.
- 12To steam the corn cake, line the steamer basket with the softened corn husks.
- 13Fill with corn cake batter.
- 14Cover with more corn husks and a tea towel to absorb moisture.
- 15Steam on the stove for about 2 1/2 hours.
- 16Batter should not stick to husks when corn cake is done.
- 17If it does, it needs to steam longer.
- 18**Noteon steamers: You can also improvise a steamer by placing a rack on cans in a large stockpot or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Mesa Grill Sweet Corn Cake
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.8
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 247.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: