Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Chili Nation; Jane and Michael Stern
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked fresh lima beans (or 10 oz. pkg. frozen)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red chili pepper flakes (available from Pendery's)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- In a chili pot, saute onions, garlic, and carrots in 2 tablespoons hot oil until carrots start to soften.
- Add in remaining oil and the chicken; cook, stirring and scraping pan constantly to keep the chicken broken up, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add in beans, corn, broth, cumin, chili powder, chile flakes, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, stirring, 7 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes; cook 3 minutes more.
- Add the masa harina; cook 5 more minutes.