Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe online, the Blue Heaven is a fantastic Key West restaurant that I used to frequent, eat outside with roosters running around you, a great tire swing in the yard...it's a kind of eclectic (young hippy-like) restaurant with award winning gourmet chefs.
- This is an edited version of the original, but oh so yum! I used some Swanson's fat free broth vs. wine, mainly because it's what I had, and I added the capers because I like them!
- The trick is to use a VERY HOT pan to sear the scallops. I used the large sea scallops and I sprayed the pan with cooking spray first. Then you quickly add the garlic. When done quickly, it browns the scallops slightly and thus you get a brownish sauce to go along.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, capers which will cool down the pan so the scallops and garlic stop cooking.
- Cook for just a minute, add the wine or broth, stir it up to get the scrapings into the sauce (like clarifying?) and simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and add the butter slice, swirl it to finish the sauce.
- This is some good stuff fit for a very special occasion. I served with shrimp scampi, asparagus with hollandaise, and garlic bread which was a great way to enjoy all those flavors as dipping sauces.
This is an excellent way to prepare scallops. I did up the garlic to 2 teaspoons and also up the capers. I can eat capers right out of the jar so I knew I was going to love this dish. Just never thought about using them in scallops. I used this recipe to put on top of angel hair pasta. WOW!!!!! This is a definitely "company worthy" meal. Thanks sor much for sharing it, Laurita.
I had bought some bay scallops that were on sale at my local grocery store. I have had them for a while and wanted a low-fat way to make them. This recipe was wonderful! However I did not have capers, I had the rest of the ingredients. The only thing I did different was add a little garlic salt and made a small serving of whole wheat thin spagettie and tossed it together....It probably will be my new fav! It has everything, veggies, lean meat and some whole grain pasta! Very Good! (also I used the chicken broth method)