Recipe by Laurita
I found this recipe online, the Blue Heaven is a fantastic Key West restaurant that I used to frequent, eat outside with roosters running around you, a great tire swing in the yard...it's a kind of eclectic (young hippy-like) restaurant with award winning gourmet chefs.
Top Review by Merlot
This is an excellent way to prepare scallops. I did up the garlic to 2 teaspoons and also up the capers. I can eat capers right out of the jar so I knew I was going to love this dish. Just never thought about using them in scallops. I used this recipe to put on top of angel hair pasta. WOW!!!!! This is a definitely "company worthy" meal. Thanks sor much for sharing it, Laurita.
- 1 lb scallops
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- butter, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- This is an edited version of the original, but oh so yum! I used some Swanson's fat free broth vs. wine, mainly because it's what I had, and I added the capers because I like them!
- The trick is to use a VERY HOT pan to sear the scallops. I used the large sea scallops and I sprayed the pan with cooking spray first. Then you quickly add the garlic. When done quickly, it browns the scallops slightly and thus you get a brownish sauce to go along.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, capers which will cool down the pan so the scallops and garlic stop cooking.
- Cook for just a minute, add the wine or broth, stir it up to get the scrapings into the sauce (like clarifying?) and simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and add the butter slice, swirl it to finish the sauce.
- This is some good stuff fit for a very special occasion. I served with shrimp scampi, asparagus with hollandaise, and garlic bread which was a great way to enjoy all those flavors as dipping sauces.