Recipe by sabradiamond
This recipe is deceptively delicious! The first time I saw it I thought this was far too healthy to taste good! Boy was I wrong! This is a very filling alternative to pasta or potato salads. The wheat berries can be hard to find. I have to go to a small health food store to find them. Cooking time is primarily the time it takes to cook the wheat berries, also walnut oil is VERY expensive, I just use olive oil
- 3 cups wheat berries, hard winter
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1⁄4 cup walnut oil
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or currants)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup scallion, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cover berries with water. Cook al dente. Drain.
- Cook limas al dente. Drain.
- Combine walnut oil, canola oil and vinegar. Add to warm berries and limas. Toss.
- Soften dried fruit by soaking in water, if needed. When bean mixture has cooled, add dried fruit, walnuts, celery and scallions. Toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.