1/1 Photo of Blue Crabs Steamed Maryland Style
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Also need 1 Large Pot with a raised rack at least 2-4 inches.
- 2Over high heat in a large crab pot with a raised rack bring equal ammounts of Cider Vinegar and water or beer to a boil.
- 3(The total ammount should be just below the raised rack about 2-3 cups of each Vinegar and water or Beer.) Mix equal ammounts of"Old Bay" seasoning and"Kosher" Salt (About 2 cups of each to start) Add 4-6 LIVE JUMBO male crabs for each layer and add the combined "seasoning" on top of the crabs.
- 4Continue with Crabs and a layer of seasoning until at least 12- 14 crabs are in the pot, cover and steam 25- 30 minutes.
- 5with the lid on!
- 6(Chop off anyones hand that tries to lift the lid too soon!) When done use tongs to lift out steamed crabs to a table covered with newspapers or brown paper.
- 7Repeat until all Crabs are Steamed, changing the vinegar and water and adding new "seasoning" to each new batch.
- 8Serve at once with extra "seasoning" and "crab mallets" to break open claws.
- 9Or store in brown paper bags in the fridge until needed 4-5 days (NO LONGER!!!).
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Crabs Steamed Maryland Style
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
jumbo male blue crabs
Old Bay Seasoning
morton's coarse kosher salt