Top Review by BuzzzWorm
Growing up in the heart of Marylands Eastern Shore & working on Crab boats. I Grew up eating Crabs and I gotta say you got the recipe perfect... I was actually gonna post one but I reckon I don't have to :) Thanks!
- 80 -100 live jumbo male blue crabs
- 1 -2 gallon cider vinegar
- 1 -2 can Old Bay Seasoning (Use nothing else!!)
- 1 box morton's coarse kosher salt (large box)
Directions See How It's Made
- Also need 1 Large Pot with a raised rack at least 2-4 inches.
- Over high heat in a large crab pot with a raised rack bring equal ammounts of Cider Vinegar and water or beer to a boil.
- (The total ammount should be just below the raised rack about 2-3 cups of each Vinegar and water or Beer.) Mix equal ammounts of"Old Bay" seasoning and"Kosher" Salt (About 2 cups of each to start) Add 4-6 LIVE JUMBO male crabs for each layer and add the combined "seasoning" on top of the crabs.
- Continue with Crabs and a layer of seasoning until at least 12- 14 crabs are in the pot, cover and steam 25- 30 minutes.
- with the lid on!
- (Chop off anyones hand that tries to lift the lid too soon!) When done use tongs to lift out steamed crabs to a table covered with newspapers or brown paper.
- Repeat until all Crabs are Steamed, changing the vinegar and water and adding new "seasoning" to each new batch.
- Serve at once with extra "seasoning" and "crab mallets" to break open claws.
- Or store in brown paper bags in the fridge until needed 4-5 days (NO LONGER!!!).