Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A tasty treat from "Bacchanalia", a fancy Restaurant in Atlanta.
Blue Crab Fritters
- 1⁄2 lb shredded fresh blue crab meat (steamed not boiled we prefer jumbo lump)
- 1⁄4 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (dash)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 ripe but firm avocados
- Thai peppers, essence
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil or 1 1⁄2 cups peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 lime
- 1 blood orange
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 honey tangerine
Thai Pepper Essence
- 3 fresh Thai peppers, deseeded & chopped
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1⁄8 cup Thai fish sauce or 1⁄8 cup nam pla
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, split & scraped
- 1 cup grapeseed oil or 1 cup canola oil
- Blue Crab Fritters:
- Combine shredded crab with ¾ cup mayonnaise, tabasco & salt.
- Form into six balls and roll them in panko.
- Fry in 1” deep peanut oil about 350 degrees until golden brown.
- Serve in bowl with sliced avocado, citrus supremes, thai pepper essence and vanilla oil.
- Garnish with coriander and chives.
- Combine eggs, lemon and mustard in food processor.
- Process until well-mixed and slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified.
- Check continually for texture, salt and pepper to taste.
- Citrus Supremes:
- Peel citrus, removing all pith.
- Carefully slice citrus between sections to liberate sections.
- Thai Pepper Essence:
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Vanilla Oil:.
- Combine the vanilla bean and seeds and grapeseed oil in a glass container and let stand for one hour.