Recipe by velorutionista
Blue corn and walnut oil gives these waffles their sweet, nutty flavor. They're great with all your standard waffle toppings, but I especially like them topped with gjetost (a soft nutty Scandinavian cheese) and black currant preserves.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (cow, almond, soy as you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup blue cornmeal (yellow also works, but blue is prettier!)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 ounce gjetost cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup black currant preserves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat waffle iron (or griddle if you'd prefer to make pancakes).
- Whisk egg till foamy. Ad milk, water, walnut oil, and honey; whisk till well combined. Whisk in baking powder and salt. Add corn meal and flour, whisking just till combined.
- Pour into waffle iron by 1/2 cupfulls. Cook a couple minutes, till done.
- Serve topped with gjetost slices and black currant preserves.