Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious pan-fried trout that is adapted from Coyote Cafe.
- 1 cup blue cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chimayo chili powder (or more depending on taste, other med.hot chili powder can be subsituted)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 4 trout, headed,boned and gutted (kept whole)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 slices thick sliced bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- Combine cornmeal, salt and chili powder in pie plate.
- In a seperate pie plate (or bowl) beat together egg and mik.
- Dip trout in egg/milk mixture and then in the cornmeal mixture and place on seperate plate.
- In large frying pan (cast iron is best) heat butter (or margarine) and oil.
- When pan is hot add trout and cook over medium heat for 4-6 minutes per side or browned and done.
- Remove and keep warm.
- In same pan, cook onion and bacon until bacon colors.
- Add vinegar to pan and boil until vinegar is reduced by half (5 minutes).
- Pour onion/bacon mixture over trout and serve.
This was so, so good!! I had trout fillets, rather than whole, but they worked fine by just adjusting the cooking time. I was a little leery of the vinegar sauce on top of the southwestern type flavors, but it was perfect. The combination of ingredients may sound a little mismatched to some, but they melded into one absolutely delicious dish. Thanks so much for pointing me towards this recipe!