Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Spicy blue corn muffins - delicious! Recipe is easily doubled, and they freeze well.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 -2 poblano peppers or 1 -2 anaheim chili, roasted,peeled,seeded and chopped (about 1/2-1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup cooked corn (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup blue cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; grease a 12-muffin tin very well with butter.
- With an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar; add the eggs and chopped peppers.
- Add the cheeses, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, ancho, garlic, salt, milk, and corn (if using), and mix until blended (do not over-mix).
- Pour the dough into the tin, dividing the portions evenly between the 12 muffins.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean; turn the muffins out to cool.
- Makes 12 muffins.
- Note: some people like corn muffins sweeter, so feel free to add more sugar to taste; jalapeno peppers are also good in this recipe, use as much as you like for the level of spiciness you prefer.
5 stars for flavor! 3 stars for texture... a bit too greasy & the sides stuck to the muffin pan: we actually had to cut them out of the muffin pan but even then the centers were questionably underdone.... Thanks for the recipe: the flavor was yummy!