Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Routh Street Cafe, Dallas, TX.
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups blue cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- Saute/stir peppers and onion in hot oil until tender; set aside.
- Add butter and shortening to a saucepan; melt over low heat; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal and the next 4 ingredients; mix well and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, half-and-half, and ham; stir in sauteed vegetables and melted butter/shortening mixture.
- Add to dry ingredients, stirring mixture just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into greased and floured muffin pans, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes.
The recipe was reduced by half and in using my silicone muffin pans the yield was only 6 muffins. They were very good and went very well with beans and greens.