Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Wow, do these sound good! I bet they would still be good with an unfried corn tortilla like a soft taco. Or fry the tortilla like a taco instead of a taquito. If you can't find blue use white or yellow corn tortillas.
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced medium
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced medium
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced medium
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 blue corn tortillas
- oil, for frying (4 cups)
- In a medium bowl place first 7 ingredients up to lemon juice. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium saute pan place 1/4 cup oil and heat to medium hot. Fry each tortilla for 15 seconds, or until softened. Drain on paper towels or paper bags.
- In a large, heavy pan place 4 cups of oil and heat over high heat until very hot. Loosely roll each tortilla and deep-fry it for 1-2 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels or paper bags.
- Stuff reserved vegetable mixture inside each tortilla. Cut the taquitos in half, crosswise.
I loved these so I am giving them 5 stars, but my meat-loving DH thought they just were okay, I added in some roasted garlic puree that I keep in my freezeer into the veggie mixture and reduce the amount of cilanto, we are not huge lovers of cilantro, thanks for sharing Engrossed!...Kitten
Pretty good! I couldn't find blue corn tortillas, but I found red; I made half red, half white. It tasted like chips and salsa with a Greek twist. It takes a while to fill up the taquitos, I used a chop stick to push the filling to the middle. The filling is enough for 36 tortillas, not 6. Thank you Engrossed.