Wow, do these sound good! I bet they would still be good with an unfried corn tortilla like a soft taco. Or fry the tortilla like a taco instead of a taquito. If you can't find blue use white or yellow corn tortillas.
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced medium
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced medium
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced medium
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 blue corn tortillas
- oil, for frying (4 cups)
- In a medium bowl place first 7 ingredients up to lemon juice. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium saute pan place 1/4 cup oil and heat to medium hot. Fry each tortilla for 15 seconds, or until softened. Drain on paper towels or paper bags.
- In a large, heavy pan place 4 cups of oil and heat over high heat until very hot. Loosely roll each tortilla and deep-fry it for 1-2 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels or paper bags.
- Stuff reserved vegetable mixture inside each tortilla. Cut the taquitos in half, crosswise.