Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These savory stuffed mushrooms can be prepared ahead and then reheated prior to serving. The blue cheese, apple and walnut filling is very tasty.
- 18 large white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pop the stems out of the mushrooms and transfer caps to a medium bowl. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Arrange caps, stem side down, on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until mushrooms begin to release water. Remove caps from oven and cool.
- In a food processor, finely chop walnuts and dried apples. Add butter and blue cheese and pulse to blend.
- Wrap the cheese filling in Saran Wrap and chill for 15 minutes. Scoop out heaping teaspoon sized portions of filling and lightly roll into balls.
- Press a ball into the cavity of each cooled mushroom cap. Arrange filled caps on a baking tray, filled side up.
- Before serving, return caps to hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Mushrooms can be prepared and stuffed 24-hours in advance and simply heated to serve.
These were really good but way on the blue cheesy side for me, and I love blue cheese. I think it just may have been the type or brand of cheese I used. Next time I think I may do 2 oz. of blue cheese and 2 oz. of cream cheese to cut the flavor a bit. But I will definitely try them again, thanks!