Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got this out of a cookbook I borrowed from the library
- 4 slices bread
- 1 red apple, with the skin left on grated
- 1⁄2 red onion, grated
- 200 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 75 g walnut pieces
- sea salt (if needed)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat grill (broiler).
- Toast the bread in a toaster.
- Place grated apple and onion in a sieve and with the back of a spoon squeeze out excess liquid.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with the cheese and walnuts.
- Season with the pepper and salt if needed.
- Divide the mixture among the toast and completely cover each piece.
- Place on a baking sheet and grill until cheese is bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
I really enjoyed this, though my onion was a little bit on the strong side. I served it as a "crouton" with a salad and bowl of soup. Thanks for posting!
This made a really good snack...It's definitely more interesting than the boring old cheese sandwich!!!!
Interesting combo. I didn't have the onion but since I'm not crazy about onion, I probably would have preferred it without it anyway. I think maybe a little mayo or honey would have helped hold the mixture together and added another interesting note but it was good as-is too. Thanks for sharing!