Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of our favorite noshes with drinks. I have to make this every time the family comes over for a holiday meal.
- 1 pastry for a 9 inch pie shell
- 6 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled (I like the Maytag Blue)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces milk cheese, grated (Monterey Jack or brick are good)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll out pastry on floured board to form a 12 inch circle.
- Using a 3 inch cutter, cut rounds of dough.
- By reworking dough scraps, there should be 12 rounds.
- Grease the back of a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Fit rounds onto pan and part way up sides of cup the pastry goes on the OUTSIDE of the cup, not the inside, pressing lightly to seal.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- If pastry has puffed up, press down lightly.
- Set aside to cool Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Remove pastry shells from backs of muffins pan and place upright on cookie sheet.
- Place ½ T of blue cheese in bottom of each shell.
- Combine eggs, cream, milk, grated cheese, nutmeg and salt.
- Divide mixture among shells, pouring almost to the top.
- Dont overfill as cheese mixture will rise during baking.
- There may be a bit of leftover filling.
- Place filled shells in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and firm.
- Serve hot or tepid.