1 hr 23 mins
I have been playing around with this type of sandwich for some time and I found "almost the one" from the Food Network Kitchens, Marinating times were not included, they vary from 15-30 minutes up to 4 hours (we did the marinating for 4 hours.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus for rolls
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 lbs flank steaks
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 6 hero sandwich buns or 6 ciabatta rolls
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium vidalia onions, sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup canned low sodium beef broth or 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
BLUE CHEESE SAUCE
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1/2 cup sour cream) or 1 cup sour cream (or 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1/2 cup sour cream)
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- fresh ground black pepper
ROASTED TOMATOES (use 2 cups)
- 1MARINADE FOR STEAK:.
- 2Mix the Worcestershire, olive oil, hot sauce, and 5 cloves of chopped garlic in a large glass baking dish.
- 3Add the steak and swish around, turning until evenly coated.
- 4Marinate at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours, flipping the steak once or twice.
- 6Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and when shimmering add the onions.
- 7Cook, stirring occasionally; until the onions are brown, about 8 minutes, then stir in the garlic, salt,and hot sauce, cook until onions are tender, about 8 minutes longer.
- 8Add the broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 9Cook until all the broth is gone, and then season with pepper; set aside.
- 10COOK THE STEAK:.
- 11Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan with a medium to medium-high heat.
- 12Remove the steak from the marinade and season 1 side with salt and pepper.
- 13Place seasoned side of the meat down on the grill.
- 14Cook the steak undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- 15Then rotate the meat about 90 degrees (don’t turn it over) on the grill to make clear cross marks and grill another 2 minutes.
- 16Season the other side of the steak with salt and pepper and flip.
- 17Continue to grill until an instant-read thermometer registers 140ºF for medium, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 18Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes.
- 19BLUE CHEESE SAUCE:.
- 20Meanwhile, mash the blue cheese in a bowl with the mayonnaise or sour cream, lemon zest, and pepper, to taste; set aside.
- 22Cut the rolls in half horizontally and brush the insides with olive oil.
- 23Grill until warm on each side, about 1 minute.
- 24Rub the toasted bread with the remaining clove of garlic.
- 25Thinly slice the meat across the grain and assemble the sandwiches.
- 26Spread a few tablespoons of the blue cheese sauce on each sandwich, top with some of the steak, onions, roasted tomatoes and watercress.
- 27Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 28ROASTED TOMATOES: (PREPARE WHILE STEAK IS MARINATING).
- 29Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- 30Toss the tomatoes in a large bowl with the olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper & crushed red pepper flakes.
- 31Transfer to a baking sheet cut side up and roast until soft and juicy, about 20 minutes; serve.
- 32Enjoy with a bottle of "whatever!".
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blue Cheese Steak Sandwich With the Works
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 928.4
- Calories from Fat 516
- Total Fat 57.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 117.3 mg
- Sodium 2661.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 58.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of
fresh thyme sprigs