- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup cream or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 chopped arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to bring to a boil for pasta.
- Preheat medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until crisp.
- Salt water for pasta and add spaghetti to the pot. Cook to al dente, with a bite to it.
- Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon and drain off most of the fat, return pan to heat and reduce heat to medium. Add extra-virgin olive oil, and 1 tablespoon butter. When butter melts into extra-virgin olive oil, add in garlic and the shallots, saute for 3 minutes.
- To the garlic and shallots, add in flour and cook a minute more. Whisk in stock, bring to a bubble, about 30 seconds then stir in the cream. When cream comes to a bubble, add in blue cheese and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir until cheese melts. Reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce to coat and combine evenly. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Scatter the arugula and bacon bits across the top of the pasta.