Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Thought these open faced sandwiches sounded interesting for a summer buffet. They can also be made up to six hours ahead and refrigerated. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (May 1986)
- Using a food processor and the thin slicing disc slice radishes and remove from work bowl.
- Using the the food processor and the steel knife mince the parsley. Transfer to a large square of waxed paper.
- Using the same steel knife process the cheese and green onion until smooth.
- Spread butter evenly on top and sides of bread slices. Dip the bread sides in the parsley and then spread 2 teaspoons cheese mixture on top of each slice of bread.
- Cut salami into 18 very thin slices and then cut each slice into quarters.
- Place 6 salami quarters down center of each slice of bread, overlapping and alternating geometically (to make a pretty design).
- Arrange radish slices in a rosette on top of the salami and then place parsley sprg in center.
- May be prepared 6 hours ahead, covered and refrigerated, bringing sandwiches back to room temperature before serving.
I really liked this, as I love all the ingredients, but I will be making a substitution as the rye bread we get here is very dry and crumbly. I think I'll try the spread on toasted whole wheat english muffins. Might also try shredding the radishes and spreading all on tortillas, then cutting them into rounds. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration ellie!
I love radishes, blue cheese, salami, and cream cheese, and I adore rye bread. This is a marriage made in heaven. I followed this exactly, although since I am a vegetarian I used Yves vegan salami slices instead of the meat version. I also used reduced fat cream cheese with fresh scallions, but other then that used this recipe exactly. Made the kind of sandwich that looks beautiful as well as enjoying on a warm summer afternoon with a nice glass of cool ice tea. I added a bit of salt on top of the radishes just to give em' a crunch. Thanks so very much ellie!
This sounded very interesting to me. I love all the ingredients in this recipe, but never thought to put them together. I love the cheese spread. The radishes add a nice crunch. They make a pretty presentation. I made mine on little cocktail rye bread. Great appetizer too! I will definitely be making these a lot.