Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A twist on the classic rarebit, this one is made with blue cheese and served with bacon and a nice tangy chutney! Great for a lunchtime snack or as a supper with a green salad.
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 11 1⁄2 ounces blue cheese
- 1⁄4 cup beer
- 1 1⁄4 ounces plain flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ounce breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder (to taste)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices white bread, toasted
- 4 slices smoked bacon, grilled
- ready-made chutney
- Warm the milk in a saucepan but do not boil.
- Crumble the cheese into the milk and stir until it has melted.
- Add the beer, mustard, Tabasco, flour and the breadcrumbs.
- Stir until combined, remove from the heat and cool.
- Add the egg yolks and season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toast the bread on both sides and place into a dish. Top with the grilled bacon followed by the rarebit mixture and place under the broiler to brown for a few minutes.
- Serve with a spoonful of chutney.