Prep 6 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a potato salad you should not pass up! I made this quite a few time recently, it has quickly become a favorite in my house. There is cooling time and about 5 hours chilling time total for this salad, so plan ahead, or even better prepare a day in advance and chill the salad overnight! Prep time includes chilling time.
- 6 lbs red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (use white wine, NOT white wine vinegar!)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (can use more)
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise (do not use salad dressing)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 lb blue cheese, crumbled (or to taste, can use more)
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until fork-tender; drain and cool to room temperature or cover and chill until ready to dice.
- When potatoes are cool, dice into about 1-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl; carefully toss with white wine, salt and, pepper, then add in chopped green onions and chopped celery, toss again, cover and chill for 1 hour (or more).
- In a bowl combine mayo, sour cream, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar and blue cheese, then add to the potato mixture; toss to coat, cover and chill for a minimum of 4 hours (overnight is better!).
- If possible remove the potato salad from the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
Delish. I did halve the recipe with success and to cut the fat used fat free sour cream and mayo without a problem. The wine and dijon and blue cheese were nice touches. Thank you Kittencal for sharing the recipe.
Excellent potato salad! I made it twice so far. Had to substitute dry sherry for the white wine. And instead of mixing the green onions into the salad (since some of my family members don't eat them), I sprinkled them on top, which looked nice- and the flavor was still there. Everyone loved the first salad. For the second salad, I crumbled several slices of cooked bacon and mixed it in, and people went nuts! They all said it was the best potato salad they've ever tasted! The bacon bits really added to an already great potato salad, so I will continue making this with the bacon! Thanks!
This is one of the best potato salads I've ever eaten. I loved the tanginess with the blue cheese. The flavors worked very well together. I diced my potatoes before boiling, otherwise made this as written. This is a must-try for the blue cheese lovers. I'll make this again. Thanx for the recipe!