Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Denis Cotter of Cafe Paradiso. Adapted from the New Irish Table.
Make and share this Blue Cheese Potato Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- boiling water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, Cashel Blue preferred (about 1 cup)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- sour cream
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over low heat.
- Cook chives and garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir into potatoes.
- Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, dill and parsley.
- Cool potatoes completely.
- Stir in cheese and egg yolk. The cheese should still be in lumps throughout the potatoes.
- Shape into 12 patties.
- Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs and milk together.
- Dip patties in flour, then in egg mixture, and finally in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook patties until browned, 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- These can be made in advance and reheated for a few minutes in a 250°F oven.
Delicious potato cakes! Made these for a light lunch today and served with a side salad. I'm saving the rest of them in the fridge to serve as a side dish with tonight's dinner. Easy to make and lots of flavor; especially if you love blue cheese as we do. I used panko bread crumbs to make them as we like the texture better than fine bread crumbs. Next time, I might find a way to bake them in the oven. Made for Everyday is a Holiday, January, 2014.