Recipe by Lennongirl
Recipe found on Taste.com.au in my search for Low GI recipes. Tried it out and it was really good. I adjusted some of the quantities to my taste (I'm a big garlic & cheese lover), so feel free to reduce the garlic or blue cheese as it might be a bit much for some. However if you're a fan, like me, this will definitely hit the spot. The combination of flavours (cheesy polenta with sweetish mushrooms) is amazing.
Top Review by Wistaria
This was really good! For some reason, I thought making polenta would be hard, but it really wasn't at all. Creamy polenta, tasty balsamic mushrooms, tangy blue cheese: this recipe really has a lot going for it. I used balsamic vinegar because I didn't have glaze. Other than that I followed the recipe exact. Oh, the peppery arugula on top was great.
- 375 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml low-fat milk
- 110 g instant polenta
- 50 g blue cheese
- 15 ml olive oil
- 250 g button mushrooms, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 30 ml balsamic glaze
- 100 g rocket (aragula)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the stock and milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Gradually add the polenta in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly until well combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 - 7 minutes or until polenta thickens. Stir in gorgonzola or blue cheese and season with with salt & pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 - 7 minutes or until golden.
- Add the garlic and thyme to the frying pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add balsamic glaze and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Divide the polenta among serving plates. Top with the mushroom mixture and scatter with the rocket leaves. Serve immediately. .